Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Literacy Plan - "What Am I?" Game

As part of my short term plan (blog post here), till the end of term, my target group of Year 11 students are going to be looking at describing products and objects, as a whole class, in pairs and individually. This will be in the form of talking and writing.
I want my students to get comfortable with describing what they see as they are not at the moment. This will build the foundation for moving into the higher areas of SOLO Taxonomy of explaining and analysing and this will allow them access to merit and excellence achievement at NCEA.
After the long Easter weekend, the plan is for the whole class to sit together at the start of each lesson and do description activities all together for 5-10 minutes. This will be in the from of talking about products shown on the screen with me doing the typing about what the class are saying. I did this for a Manaiakalani Class OnAir lesson last year and it worked out really well, so I want to do more of it this year.  Blog post here.
I then want the students to get into pairs and play the "What Am I?" game.
I have made cards with images of products / things on them. There is also a question card for each pair. One student pulls a card at random from the pile and looks at the picture on it without showing their partner. Their partner has to ask the questions on the question card and try and guess what the object is from their team member's answers. I am considering making the questions points related, so they get more points for quicker correct guesses. This will hopefully then put the emphasis on detailed answers from their partner who is doing the describing.
This session will be recorded for Class OnAir so I will be able to analyse how this went.
Link to resources.


No comments:

Post a Comment