Saturday, February 29, 2020

Drawing Music

After out great day with Pippa Lawler on Wednesday (blog post here), we had a single period the following day. The class was small as there was two Trades Academy courses going on so the students were out. We also had a short class as there was going to be a Year 12 and 13 assembly.
I decided to have a go at "drawing music". This came about after Pippa had the students go outside with paper and pastels and draw what they could hear. Today, I played different types of music while the students had their eyes closed and makes marks on paper in response to what they were hearing.

I played them Eminem, Strauss waltzes, Movie themes ....

The sort video here shows them standing up to try and get more movement going. Please excuse the jerky video as I was walking round the room and dancing a bit as I was going.







The response from the students was varied. They started feeling silly and that I had possibly gone a bit crazy. They loosened up a lot over a few songs but still felt really silly. 
A good question came flying across the room ...
" why are we doing this miss?..!!" ...... with a bit of a WTH tone.
"That was a really good question", I said "you need to loosen up and think in different ways when you draw"

No comments:

Post a Comment