Sunday, August 13, 2023

Materials Research - Reading 2

 


As part of my inquiry this year I am looking at how I can read in DVC so the students get more meaning out of the research they have to do.

Last week, we started our materials research where I broke the information down for them and presented it on a Google slide. Blog post here.

This week, I sent the students the link to the website - Metals and Alloys. I made sure they all had a piece of paper and a pencil and then I read to them from the website while they read it in front of them. If they came across a word that they did not know, they had to write it on the paper. At the end of the reading, I collected in the papers and scanned them to see where the main problems were in understanding and we Googled meanings and answers together while I wrote the answers on the white board.

I have not read out loud to students for a LONG time. I have been in the classrooms of English teachers when they have been reading to their class. They are able to put emphasis in the reading and use different tones of voice. After this lesson, I was laughing with an English teacher colleague, explaining how I was trying to make information about stainless steel and aluminium sound interesting as I was reading it. 

My Year 11 class already know that I am doing my inquiry with them this year and that I will be trying different things with them that I have not done before. We went over what we did last week and how it was different to what we did this week in regards to their research. I then asked them to write down what they thought about each approach.

Next week, we will be looking at different plastics, so I think a combination of approaches will be tried. I have also had a volunteer to be "guest reader".

No comments:

Post a Comment