Friday, March 22, 2019

Inquiry Question 4

Begin to collect evidence and data  and come to the next session ready to share your preliminary findings about the nature and extent of the student challenge i.e. using your baseline student data and evidence.

I have collected evidence on the individual students on my class - blog post here.
I have collected historical data of Year 13 students doing NCEA Level 3 Design and Visual Communication - blog post here

Also, as part of my personal goals this year, I am looking at mindset as a barrier to learning - blog post about my goals here
As part of this, I have been lucky to have received input from Pippa Lawler from Mint Education. She gave me a growth mindset model questionnaire to do with students to see where their thinking is now and where it is later when I have done some work with them about this.
I gave these questions to my students today. Here are the results.



Key competency - THINKING SKILLS
Forms response chart. Question title: Personal Thinking. Number of responses: 7 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: Recording my thinking. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Asking questions. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Using thinking tools. Number of responses: 7 responses.


Key Competency - RELATING TO OTHERS
Forms response chart. Question title: Active listening. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Group work. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Sharing Ideas. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Cooperating with others. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Key Competency - UNDERSTANDING LANGUAGE, SYMBOLS AND TEXT
Forms response chart. Question title: Literacy. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Numeracy. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Making connections to other learning areas. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Information retrieval. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Production and presentation. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: ICT. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Key Competency - SELF-ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT
Forms response chart. Question title: Showing initiative. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Identifying Goals. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Personal responsibility. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Starter or finisher?. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Key Competency- PARTICIPATING AND CONTRIBUTING
Forms response chart. Question title: School-wide community. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Class community. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Communicating. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Challenges
Forms response chart. Question title: I feel good when I don’t have to put much effort into things. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I prefer to avoid challenges. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Failing makes me feel like a loser. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I regularly try out things I have never done before. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I keep trying even if I fail. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: If something is easy for me, it means I’m talented. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Effort and struggle help me achieve things. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: It is better to get as task that is too easy than a task that might be too difficult. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: There is a lot to learn from people giving me feedback. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Not knowing something means that I haven’t learnt it yet. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: If something is easy for me, it means I’ve put time and effort into it and become good. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I don’t like others commenting on my work. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: It can be helpful when others do better than me, as I can learn from their success. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Smart people are born more talented. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I like challenges. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I don’t like when others do better than me. It makes me look stupid. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I feel good when I’ve put effort into something. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: I’m often asking others to comment on my work so that I can make it better. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Not knowing something means that I’m not smart. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: When I get a familiar task, I try new ways to go about it. Number of responses: 7 responses.

Expectations

3 things that I am hoping to achieve are...7 responses
Credits, confidence in presenting, learn new aspects relative to design.
E endorse, Completion in work, Schloarship
Endorsement, UE and Get skinny with a six pack n get bulkier
Credits, Knowledge & better skills
Better Drawing skills, Find what media i like the most, and get all my assessment done.
Drawing, searching and painting
Excellent endorsement, university rank score, money.


2 things that I am most worried about are....7 responses
Level of achievement may not be suitable to me, and having to miss out on 10 days of school work when I'm out for Spirit Of Adventure.
My laziness/distraction, not achieving my goal
not achieving it and dying
Getting feedback & not finishing on time
My confidence in drawing and my drawing it's self
Working
failing, not reaching the rank score



1 thing that is most important to me in this course is...7 responses
It will help me develop the skills and knowledge I need for what I want to become in the future.
Scholarship
Growth
Getting familiar with the topic and it's physical attributes
Getting better at drawing.
Doing graphics
Passing



Building success

3 things that will help me to be successful and achieve in this class are...7 responses
Guidelines, detailed information, friends/classmates.
listening, doing my work, asking for help
Discipline, Dedication and Sacrifice
My teacher, my work ethic & my support from my friends ahah
You do to learn, you keep going to learn and you live and learn.
Focus, listen,pay attention
Listening, positive mindset, encourgment


2 things that teachers need to know to understand me are...7 responses
I'm a quiet achiever, I can observe and learn
i am easily distracted, but i try my best
Takes time to understand, I work hard if you stay on me
I get distracted easily when tired
when im not good at the particular topic i shy away from it
my confidence in drawing and my lack of responsibility.
Reapeting it again
nothing, nothing



1 thing that is most important to my learning is..7 responses
My chromebook
succeeding in difficult times
Getting Something out of it
Passing and enjoying the subject while im at it
To appreciate my own drawing
Working
passing



Forms response chart. Question title: My attitude to this class is most like. Number of responses: 7 responses.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, you have drawn from a range of sources to build a rich picture of your student’s learning. Particularly interested in the outcome of your focus on what you have learned about the impact of literacy and how it will strengthen analysis writing. Plus applying this to verbal literacy which you have identified will add real value in you previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. We are going to work on confidence and failing too which I am looking forward to. Two of them have been up to Glen Taylor and stood in front of approx 80 students talking about design. I was so proud of them. The whole class is going next term.

      Delete