Sunday, November 5, 2023

Inquiry 2023 - Evaluating shifts in Teaching

  Evaluating shifts in teaching

 

Aspect of teaching

Evidence of teaching before intervention

Evidence of teaching after intervention

Judgement about how much you shifted 

Reading for research

Collecting resources about materials together in one place on my site so the students can go there to get the information that they need

Link to page on class website

I would do internet searches for information with the students and if we found something lele that was of use, I would add it to this page for everyone to access.


Giving students a template to fill in that has questions to answer about the reading they are doing. These questions are structured around SOLO taxonomy.

Link to page on class website


With these two aspects, I would let the students read the links that they needed to by them selves and help them individually where needed when they got to the questions.

Information transfer

  • Pulling the relevant information from the internet so it can be focussed on away from distractions.
  • Giving a specific set of questions that are targeted to what information I am wanting the students to get from their reading.
  • Getting the students to apply what they are reading to their particular design problem.
  • Reading with the students
  • Giving words from the reading in advance so they have some vocabulary before they start.
  • Collecting words as we go so we can collate meanings of words we are stuck on.
Summary of intervention to date on this blog post for a staff presentation

The main shift within me has been confidence. I feel that I can support the students with their reading in a much more meaningful way. I am now planning for reading within my lessons in a much more structured way. Examples of this are on these links.


Blog post - Year 9 Food


Blog post - Year 11 materials research


Moving forward from this year, I will be able to plan our reading for the start of next year in a much more structured way.

Year 11 have to look at designers and Year 12 have to look at design eras. This involves a lot of reading and my learning from this year will enable me to specifically plan for this within my teaching and lesson time.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment