Friday, November 3, 2023

Inquiry 2023 - Student Voice on Interventions Tried

 I have asked my Year 11 class for some feedback this week about the reading interventions that we have tried this year. They have already done a pre and post reading sample for me  - blog post here - so it was time to find out what they thought.

Here is the form that I got them to fill in



Here are the answers that the students gave

Forms response chart. Question title: How confident did you feel about reading the research in Graphics at the start of the year?. Number of responses: 9 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Of the activities in the reading exercises we did this year, which ones did you find the most useful? (you can click more than one). Number of responses: 9 responses.

Please explain why you chose the options in the previous question. Please give as much detail as you can.

It is helpful for the teacher to explain
I have picked these options because they helped me.
Reading the information myself and answering questions related to my design helped me understand the task much more clear.
Because it's just easier and we will actually follow through the reading while the teacher is reading it out loud and then finding the words we didn't know and searching it up.
I find it hard learning bymyself sometimes and having the teacher read to the classroom and doing research all together gives me reasuring of what im doing and makes me feel confident in my work.
I feel more confident with my learning when the options above are given to me, it makes it easier for me to learn that way. When Ms. Ferguson or anyone else explains the work to me, I find it more simple to know than figuring it out on my own. Having the questions about the text is a very useful feature for me as it helps me to understand the text more rather than just reading it and understanding a little.
The reason why I choice these activities because I found all of these useful to me in a way. As for example when Miss Fergurson or our guest reader (Ms. George I remembered) read. It helped me to get in the zone, not only that but also help me to see words that I don't know. Which linking it to the looking up words as a class together. It was truly helpful because I learned new words when Miss Fergurson was defining and putting it into simpler words. I found those to be useful to me. But the other activies I also enjoyed doing it independantly because the information I read at first then answering was good. As I like the questions about the text relating to my design. Because it gave me indication on how I can improve, have thoughts, and how I can build up on my design.
Why i chose those options is because for me it is more easier and simple to do.
idk, i just got here

Forms response chart. Question title: How confident  you feel doing reading for research after we did all of the activities?. Number of responses: 9 responses.


Things that I need to keep doing and expand on
  • Reading with the students - either me doing it or convincing "guest" to come and do it with them
  • Pulling out the words they don't understand as we go so we can all work on them together
  • Pulling the text from the source but also having the source available as an option (linked)
  • Having topic specific questions ready for them so their reading is targeted (information transfer)
  • Giving them plenty of time to work on their own as well as working on it as a whole class.
It is very pleasing to see their confidence levels improve with the activities that we did. This will only help them to not disengage when we have to read in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment