Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Teaching Online - Day 1

Today was the first day of teaching from home and it went WAY BETTER than I was expecting.

My timetable was P1 and P2 - Year 11, P3 and P4 - Intermediates so I didn't have to worry, P5 - Y10, P6 - Y9

I got online just before 9.10 this morning so I was ready for P1. One of my lovely Year 11 girls came on so we were working through some Graphics work (writing a design brief), which was great. Then about half way through another came on. I was so happy to see them. They were brave enough to have the camera on even though one of them had just gotten up. Seeing their faces loosened some of the tight feeling in my chest.

For P5, I got on just on 2.10, and three of my boys were there waiting. I was sooooo happy to hear them. They did not want the camera on but I could hear them and they could see me showing them stuff on the screen.

P6 non of my Y9 students joined me but I heard from other teachers that they were going online and doing their maths and english work during the day which is great.

What I discovered today was that when you record a session in Google Meet Hangouts that has been set up through the calendar, it puts links to the video and the chat transcript in to the calendar information as links.


On the front page of my class site where I have embedded all of my class calendars, these lesson recordings are available. When you click on the event you can see the lesson details. To see links to recording and transcript you have to click on "more details" at the bottom of the box.

6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Karen,
    Thanks for sharing re workflow for remote learning. Great to have the screenshots.
    Ngā manaakitanga,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Karen, awesome to see!
    I noticed the above too when I recorded the last CoL PLG. Discovered if the recording starts during the scheduled meeting time, the recording is automatically linked in the Calendar event plus participants who are in the same domain as the meeting organiser are also able to access the recording.
    I am sure we are all going to learn a lot more during the next few weeks!
    all the best,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    It is so amazing to see the learning continuing from isolation. I thought I knew something about digital affordances before but this is next level! I look forward to reading more posts distance learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danni. We are certainly putting everything we have learned into practice eh?

      Delete