Sunday, May 15, 2022

Inquiry 2022 - Barriers to Learning

 

Reading - Barriers to Learning and How to Overcome them


Im my senior classes, I always have a range of students. 

  • Year 11 - depending on the curriculum lines in Year 9 and 10, they may have had some graphics for both years, one year or non.
  • Year 12 - they may have done NCEA Level 1 DVC at Year 11 or not.
  • Year 13 - they may have done Level 1 and Level 2, they may have just done one of them or they may have done no DVC at NCEA level at all.
  • Some have chosen DVC because they want to do it.
  • Some are in the DVC class as there was nothing else on that option line that they felt like doing.
These situations create a wide range of experience and motivation in my students. I have a blog post about student voice about where they sit on this continuum here. I have students who want to do their absolute best through to students who are there to hang out and every where on the continuum inbetween.

  1. I find that mindset is a huge barrier to learning in my subject. As soon as the words "I can't do this, I can't draw" come out of them, the student builds their own barrier and this is one that is the most difficult to get over.
  2. Concentration is always a barrier to learning and being off task. Students are progressively over time having a shorter attention span and get sidetracked very quickly. I find this to be a problem as they have to spend extensive periods of time on the same project for DVC.
  3. Students unable to come into school due to COVID restrictions and because they have had to get jobs to help their families has been a big problem. If they are not in the class but are still on the school role, then they are still on my list so my  responsibility to teach somehow.
  4. Students having a very disjointed school, learning experience over the past 2 and a half years has meant it is very difficult for them to settle into the routine again.
My inquiry this year has its main focus on motivation. I will need to keep all the barriers to learning in mind when planning any interventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment