Friday, May 20, 2022

PD - Week 1 and 2 - OMG Tech PLD: 3D printing, Lasercutting and CNC machining

 We have had 2 weeks of PD from OMG Tech so far.

On week 1,  we looked at using Fusion 360. We looked at the basics and Krishna showed us how to produce a simple shape. A great tutorial to use is this one from Product Design Online. I worked my way through this tutorial after this first session and it takes you step by step through for a complete beginner.


We then went through slicing the design on Prusa Slicer so that it was ready to send G code to the 3D printer.



This came out really well when I printed it. We printed it fast so we could see it quickly but the quality was not bad.
Points to note when Krishna helped me to set up the 3D printer properly. 
  • A really clean base plate - he cleaned it with hot soapy water and dried it
  • Use cotton tissue to clean the hot print nozzle as the extra plastic stuck on there will come off on the tissue.
  • Print the first few layers slower to ensure good adhesion to the base plate.


I really want a way for the students to be able to create an orthographic drawing digitally so that we can use that method when the new DVC standards come into affect. I had a go at making this design into an orthographic today. I was happy with how easy it was to do, the detail you can add and how it links directly to the 3D product that has been designed and drawn. Will Fusion 360 be efficient for this? I am not sure. I need to use it a lot more myself first before I make a decision.


Here are my written notes from the sessions.

Useful links
Thomas Sanladerer - YouTube channel
CNC Kitchen - YouTube Channel





No comments:

Post a Comment