Sunday, October 29, 2023

Inquiry 2023 - May - Oct 2023 - Before and After Reading Sample

 My inquiry this year has been about reading for understanding during the research part of the Year 11 DVC project. 

As part of this process, I had the students do a baseline test before I tried any interventions with them. The blog post about this is here.

I have done a range of reading activities with my students since then. a summary of these is here on this blog post.

When we did the post "test" sample this week, I reminded the students of the things that we had done to support their reading this year and gave them this list as a print out to work through. They then did exactly the same activity that they completed in May.

Reading Tips

  • Read through once without thinking about the questions
  • Highlight words you don't know and find the definitions
  • Highlight in different colours
  • Appearance of the material
  • Cost of the material
  • How durable the material is
  • What the material is used for in other designs and products
  • Any reference to sustainability and the environment
I have put their work onto the presentation with their previous work from may so a direct comparison was made. Any missing on this presentation just means that they were not there in may or were not there this week. I have also included the reading they were given so it is obvious if they used any of the techniques we had tried or they had used any of the given tips. If this is not included, then they had not made any marks on theirs.



It is pleasing to see that in some of the student work here, there is more detail included in their answers and they have linked to their own designs in what they were reading. It is not in all of them but I can definitely see an improvement in places and it is a good starting point for us this year.
This process has given me more confidence in supporting reading with my students and so I will be able to put things in place much earlier in the year next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment