Sunday, May 23, 2021

Maths in Y8 Coding

 This week was the last week of the Technology rotation for my Year 8 coding class. I have taught them coding since they were in year 7 and we have had a lot of fun.

For the last couple of weeks we have been playing with the Microbits. We have also been playing with mBots and Drones over the last couple of years. I am a Graphics teacher and I have only been teaching coding for the last two years, so I am learning as i am going with the students. Here is my planning on my class site.

This week, we made the Microbit into a step counter. They had to code their microbit to count each time it was shaken and show that number on the LED's. They then had to stuff it down their sock and go outside and test it.

They had to analyse if the step counter was counting one leg or just the one. We then discussed what differences to make if they thought it was just counting one leg.



The next step was to get the Microbit to measure how far they had walked. The students measured their stride, then changed the number being shown on the Microbit to that stride length multiplied by the number of steps.




To test this, the students went into the carpark with rulers and chalk and marked out a 3 meter line so they could walk down that and see if the Microbit was saying the same amount.

Here they are out in the carpark doing the testing. It was pink shirt day on this day which is why they are looking really pink.



Here is the class and me looking very pink.



No comments:

Post a Comment