Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mentoring - Barriers to Learning

 Last week, in my Year 11 mentoring session with my tutor class, we talked about "Barriers to Learning".

To introduce this, I went over with them on the board what my own barriers to learning are. I was really honest with then about what stops me from learning, explaining what effect each one of them has on me.



We then did this as a group and thought about what stops us from learning. We started a little at the end about what we could do to help each one but we didn't get very far into that.



I want this to lead into this next week's session which will be working on a module in MyMahi about the Multi Tasking Myth. This is part of a whole section about how you learn which I want to work through with my group. They are in Year 11 and are one term into NCEA Level 1.

Things the students mentioned that stood out - 
  • Being comfortable came out a lot - too warm, too cold, needing the toilet, being hungry or thirsty.
  • The teacher - talking too much, talking too fast, boring lessons, not enough instructions and help
  • Being distracted - friends, phone, games
  • Methods of learning - needing examples, not reacting well to just verbal instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment