Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Teaching Online - Day 2

A big thing that I learned today that it is really not a good idea to organise two Google Hangout Meets at the same time.
I prepped the lessons on my Google Calendar last night, and my Y12 and Y13 students come to me at the same time. It did not dawn on me till this morning when I connected ready to go that I had put different Google Meet links on each calendar invite. What a plum! I had both open just in case today. Luckily, my Y13 boys came online and we had a good session and non of my Y12 class connected today.
Note to self - put the same link to the hangout meet on both events. It doesn't matter that the recorded video will only appear on one of the events, as I can share it later.

Link to the class site with calendars on the front page. Click the events to see the lesson information. Click on "more details" to see links to the recording of the lesson and the transcript of the chat.

I had a great session with my three Y13 boys today. We did some research work for the product design project.

They were sharing their screens so I could talk to them about their work.
I was sharing my screen so I could do an example alongside them.
I also explained that I had only put one thing for them to do on the workspace on purpose so they don't try and overload themselves. As they are doing NCEA Level 3, I don't want them stressing about getting everything done that I load up there. So, one thing at a time, as they also need to connect with their other teachers. Only work in their timetabled session. Thats all they need to do.
Link to workspace.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, thinking because you were already using calendars that this is consistent for students and provides a sense of "business as usual"? Nice work juggling the double up ;-)

    ReplyDelete