Tuesday, April 13, 2021

CosPlay Club - Session 1

 I have been talking all this term with one of my Year 12 students about starting a cosplay club. I go to Armageddon Expo every year and for the past few years have been making / assembling costumes to go in. We put out a Google Form and I was amazed at the response. 27 students put there names down.

We had our first meeting today after school. I brought in all the things that I have made and bought over time and showed them, and I showed them photographs of me at Armageddon wearing what I made / bought.

What I want them to think about between now and the next session, which will be after the holidays now, is what they want to make then we can start planning when we start term 2. Lots of ideas already, showing me pictures of characters I have never heard of before!

I wanted a bit of a hands on experience this session so we made small wrist gauntlets out of EVA foam. I have been putting together some how to videos and starting to collect resources on my class site. Link here This will slowly grow over time as we learn more stuff. I found us some videos about working with EVA foam.


I had a bit of a play with some EVA foam yesterday after watching the videos. I soon found where the mistakes could be made - bad cutting, rough engraved lines, squeezing too tight when shaping it with heat and having massive thumb prints left in it!!

Here are my trials.



We had fun today talking about what we might make and having a go with the EVA foam for the first time. I had 18 come today which is not too bad considering I had some say they couldn't make the first one due to Polyfest practice.













No comments:

Post a Comment