Sunday, August 8, 2021

Self Tracking for Intermediate Tech Coding Planning

 My inquiry this year is looking at how I can get students to be self motivating in their project work. Part of that problem is knowing where they are within a project and knowing where they are within the assessment process.

For a while now, I have been making standard breakdown documents for my students. 

I am not sure if my students use these to be honest but they have been really useful for me to ensure that I am covering work that will give them access to all levels of achievement. I have recently discovered that you can do a checklist option on a doc which you can tick and it crosses out in a very satisfying "i have done that" kind of way. I think I will redo these sheets to include these to see if I can get my students to use them to track themselves. We already use a class shared spreadsheet for tracking. 

Recently, we had a department moderation session where we were looking at the planning and marking of junior and intermediate projects.  Mrs Anderson shared the sheet that she uses to track the evidence for computational thinking. (I wont share hers here as it has student work on it with names etc). 
A copy of this was made and feedback from the moderation process was put under the grid of descriptors as the moderation went along. This was very useful, having lots of eyes of fellow tech teachers on my planning and seeing where the gaps are. I then used this to highlight in yellow where I needed to add things.
I then cleaned this up to be a version that is useful to me to make sure that I cover everything that is needed on my site for that mBot project.

I put this onto my class site in the assessment area for this mBot coding project but realised that it is not particularly useful for the students as it uses the language straight from the progress outcomes.
It was when I was converting this document to the more student friendly version that I found the checklist option on docs. I will use this version with my two coding classes in the next tech rotation to see if it is any good and do any changes needed to make it better.


My hope is that we can all make a copy of this doc at the start of the rotation, share it with the teacher and use it to link up the evidence documents as they work through them from the class site. This will give them a very visual indication of where they are both in the project and the assessment.







No comments:

Post a Comment