Monday, March 28, 2022

Inquiry 2022 - Feedback from Student Working from Home

 In my Year 11 class this year, I have one student who. has not been to school yet. She has been doing all of the interacting with the work that I am setting from home and she is just about up to date with everything so far. 

We have been using the class site, workspaces and email. Other students in the class have also been interacting with the work from home but i wanted to ask this particular student some questions to find out how she has been coping.

I have also sent some questions to this students other teachers to see where she is at with their subject and what differences there are in interaction and methods used.


These are the questions that I sent to the particular student, with her answers.

  • How are you finding the work you need to do in DVC? Class site? Calendar invites? The workspace dashboard? Im finding it easy from home.

  • How clear are the instructions? They are clear enough for me to understand

  •  Are you able to understand what you have to do clearly enough? Yes

  • Do you use the examples that I make to help you? Yes

  • Do you watch the help videos that I make to help you? yes

  • Are the examples and videos clear enough?Yes

  • Are enough so you understand what to do? Yes

  • What would you like included in the project planning to make it more supportive when you are not in the class room? More example slides of what to do how to do it exactly.

  • Is the support and information that I give you different or the same as your other subjects? Different

  • How is it different or the same? it’s different because we don’t learn graphics in the other classes.

  • What are the best ways you feel supported with the work you have to do from any of your subjects? The best way i feel supported is using more communication about how to do the work your given like it could be on slides or docs just for an example.


I have since sent her this extra question to get more clarity, as I don't think my original question about this was clear enough.

"Can I just get you to think about how you are supported in other subjects. I know the content is different as your other subjects are not Graphics but how is the work given to you while you are at home? How is the METHOD the same or different to what I do."


These are the questions that I have sent to the teachers of this student .... (names and any link to a subject has been removed)

1 - Has "this student" engaged with the work you have set for her while she has been at home / not in school?
2 - How have you set the work mostly? - email / class site / workspaces / shared docs / other ....?
3 - What do you think the reason is that "this student" is engaging or not engaging with the work you are setting for her?
4 - Is "this student's" engagement with the work different to the rest of the class? How is it different?
5 - Have you taught "this student" prior to this year? If so, how do you think your relationship with her is impacting how she approaches the work outside of the class room?


Answers from teacher 1

1. She has engaged in the work in a very limited fashion I have noticed her on docs that I have put in student drives

2. I have mostly set the work, the main point was for her to follow along the digital resources and email if she had any questions.

3. I am not sure why she wouldnt be engaging she is generally a very self starting student, I have emailed a couple of times to no reply but I am sure being socially isolated must take a toll on anyone especially a teenager.

4. Her engagement was different in that it was done on her on schedule but it has dropped off over time.

5. I have taught her every year she has been at Tamaki, I think this lead to the initial positive effort.



Answers from teacher 2

1. In the past 8 weeks, no but she has opened the Assessment as of yesterday, which is due this week on Friday.

2. Much of my work is set onto the Workspace and Subject Site. I send Emails to remind students of work and it's also in the Calendar too (Google Meet links shared with students as well)

3. As she misses out on a lot of school, she misses vital info and content about the work and Assessments. 

4. She's capable of doing the work but she spends too much time on her phone or sleeping (Just going by what she was like last year as I've only seen her once this year - Weds 9th Feb)

5. Yes, I taught her when she was in Year 10. I think the relationship I have with her is a contributing factor to the minimal work she has done outside of the classroom. 



(More replies will be added as they come in both from the student and her teachers)

No comments:

Post a Comment