Thursday, March 23, 2023

Inquiry 2023 - What teacher learning is needed to move forward?

 My inquiry focus this year is going to be literacy with a specific focus on reading. I broke down my thought about this at the end of last year when we were looking forward to what we could do in the following year. Blog post here. So far this year, I have looked at the data for my Year 11 class - know your learner 1 and know your learner 2. I have also talked with members of staff here at Tamaki College to see where they think that my inquiry focus sits in the big picture for the school - blog post here

Before I even think about what I will be doing with the students in regards to this inquiry focus, I need to look at myself and what my needs are.  


What have I done in the past?

  • I have given links to where certain items of information is on the internet for students to click on and read them selves.
  • Put specific information on my class site (either directly or on documents / presentations) for students to read.
  • Supplied physical books on a particular subject for them to read.
Has this worked?

  • These methods have not been successful as I was not taking into consideration the reading levels of the students and the information on the internet especially can be intimidating to them.
  • Students have not been opening emails that I have sent them with the information / links etc in so they did not get chance to read what I have sent. (this was especially true of the Y9 food tech class)
  • This was expecting a level of self motivated reading that was not supported. 
What I have put together in this diagram is a plan for me as the teacher to follow before I try anything new with my students.

Link to Google Drawing







No comments:

Post a Comment