Friday, April 7, 2023

Reading - Student Voice

 My inquiry this year is going to be based around reading. I wanted to see what the students in my Year 11 Design and Visual Communication class think about reading at the moment.


Forms response chart. Question title: Do you enjoy reading?. Number of responses: 9 responses.


Forms response chart. Question title: What is the reason you do most of your reading?. Number of responses: 9 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: When you read, do you do it because  ........ Number of responses: 9 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: When you chose DVC this year, did you realise how much reading you would have to do?. Number of responses: 9 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: How much reading do you feel you have to do in other subjects this year?. Number of responses: 9 responses.


What do teachers in your other subjects do to help you with reading? Why do you think this works for you?

  • Not sure.
  • Teachers told me to read
  • They don't help me because I can read fine.
  • I really don't know, They just tell me to read more... but I don't
  • Well, what my teachers do to help me with reading is that in class they will go through it with me individually and also with the whole class. So when reading, if there is a word that I don't understand and the others, my teachers help me by breaking down that word and explaining it. I feel like this works because as a student it makes me comfortable and it is clear to understand when they're reading it.
  • They help us improve what were tryna explain
  • The other teachers help me with reading by helping me understand some of the text that is written on other sites for information and this works for me because i didn't understand some text that was there on the site and had the teacher explain it to me thoroughly
  • interesting subjects.
  • I'm not sure.

What do you think your DVC teacher can do to help you with the reading that is needed this year?
  • Not sure, I think I can read alright.
  • Help to understand my tasks
  • I don't need help.
  • maybe just giving us more tasks that include reading
  • - Probably just visit me and ask if I need any help in reading. - Possibly if it's something for the whole class to hear. If you could read the text and break it down to our whole class this will also help me.
  • nothing
  • Nothing really
  • not sure

It is interesting to see that non of the class realised how much reading there would be in the DVC course.
Help that the students are appreciating from other teachers is breaking down meanings of things as they go. They are also liking when teachers help them to understand what they find on the internet in terms of how it is written ( I had a brief conversation with the student who put that answer to get more clarity)
They are liking more interesting topics as it helps them want to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment