I am busy organising a new product design project for my new Year 10 groups this year. I want them to have an experience that is close to one of the NCEA Level 1 projects so that they know what it would be like of they chose it next year.
I have decided that since they are all obsessed with little portable speakers at the moment, then that is what they will be designing. This will also give us a great opportunity to use the 3D printers to create the model of the final design.
Part of what I am preparing is a product analysis exercise. I trialled this arrangement last year with my final group of year 10's, so I am using a similar one this year as it was a successful experiment.
I have used a different slide on the presentation for each step up in the SOLO taxonomy structure so the students can see how analysis can build in complexity. They need to get used to using the higher levels so they can aim for a higher result at NCEA.
It has been much easier to write a project from scratch, building in this structure, rather than trying to add it onto it afterwards.