Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Lockdown Cooking with Y9's

 I have been teaching a y9 food class this year. With the help of the fabulous Mrs Heka, TIC Food Technology, I have been having fun in the kitchen with 3 lots of Year 9 classes over the year. With being on lockdown at the moment, I met my new Year 9 class rotation while we are all at home. I have been sending them theory work to do, kitchen hygiene, safety etc and then I saw that the wonderful Mrs Heka and Mrs Hamer were doing practical lessons with their Y7 - Y10 classes. I then felt sorry for my class that I wasn't giving them that option to have a go if they were able to.

Link to the Food Tech section on my class site

With the support of Mrs Heka, I have had the confidence to try doing practical from home with the Y9 class for the last two weeks. Last week we made pasta from scratch and a nice sauce to have with it. I had one student come on with his Mum. They were all ready to go with the ingredients. I had sent the class the ingredient list a week in advance. There was another two students in the meet, but they were spectating, cheer leading. 



This week, the topic was hot cakes. I had two spectators this week. The student who was planning on coming to cook was unable to make it. I decided to do the practical anyway as I had two students in watching and I recorded it. My chef from last week can then access the video if he wants to have a go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment