Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All Change......

I was inspired this week by a visit to the room of a fellow teacher. She had turned half of her room into an easy seating, couch area, where students can sit comfortably to use their netbooks in a different atmosphere and environment.
So today, I had a re-arrangement of my own furniture. I already had a couple of items of furniture that I could use from when TCTV did interviews for assembly.
My room was laid out in groups of tables with 6 computers around the sides of the room.

Here is how I have changed it....

A couch and easy chair in a set up with a small table. This is near power sockets for their netbooks and next to the bookshelf. I plan to get a couple of bean bags for this area too, as there is still plenty of space. Here, students can sit comfortably to either work on their netbooks or access the design books on the shelf. They can sit on the floor on the rug, using the low table, or use the bean bags.



I have added a high table at the back of the room, with a couple of stools. This table can be worked on stood up too.


I still have groups of tables, as the students need to be able to sit and do their design work on paper. The desktop computers are all down one wall now.


I thought that this would make my room feel cramped, but there is still plenty of room to move around, which is important as my students need to be able to move around the room to get things that they need.

Here is how it was used when my senior students came in this afternoon.

Working at the tall table...
I am not convinced I like seeing their backs ( being suspicious!! ) I may pull out this table from the wall so the stools can go on the other side.




On the couch with a netbook...


On the easy chair by the book shelf...


A more unusual use of a low chair with the high table. Chin level with his netbook!
He says he was comfortable!!...hhmmm...


I didn't get to see the changes used a lot today, as a lot of my senior classes were out on work experience and most of them are in the middle of design drawings, where they need the tables.
The reaction of the students who came in and saw it was interesting, as they were interested in the changes and what I was trying to do.
I look foreword to seeing how it changes how they use the space in the room and how this affects their work.

1 comment: