Thursday, August 29, 2013

Flipping Great!!!...

I found a great iPad app recently called, Book Creator. I was very interested in having a go at this as I have quite a large collection of really good design books in my class room, but most of them have way too much in them and tend to put the students off a little. I thought that something like this app would give me the opportunity to cherry pick  what I wanted to put across to the students and illustrate it myself. The options on this app are to upload to iBooks or output as a PDF. I was going to go the PDF direction and link these over to my DVC site.
This plan changed yesterday when Dorothy introduced me to an online little gem called FlipSnack.
On this, you can upload a PDF and it converts it into a really cool little book that you can turn the pages of. The embed code gives you the chance to embed this where you want!

Here is a short sample of my book. I have only got the first section of it completed yet so it needs a lot more work, but I was too excited by this not to have a go.
I can see all sorts of things coming from this small start!!!

I have just tried it on my site and embedding the code works really well... have a look here.
I have just noticed something too.... there is a little of the writing missing from the front cover as I had to change the font from Apple Gothic, as this came out blank when I uploaded it. I went through the book and changed all the fonts to Helvetica ( fairly standard ), but I missed one little section on the front. Learning, learning...


1 comment:

  1. I love the Design book - I have learnt something already from it.

    Need to disclaim credit for the FlipSnack genius though - I learnt all about it from Prem Ramkolowan at Glen Innes School who ran a Toolkit session after school last term for the Manaiakalani teachers. I am really pleased to see that this is a useful tool for the Year 1 through to the Year 13 classes. I can see uses for it in lots of subject areas.

    Look forward to seeing the Maths department using it :)

    ReplyDelete