Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Getting Students to Test Design Apps

I have had my eye on an iPad app for a while. It is called Astropad. Link Here.
This app mirrors what you see on the computer screen so you can draw into programmes like Photoshop and Illustrator that you have installed on your computer in a much more natural way.
Students find it tricky to use the wacom graphics tablets as they have to look at the screen while drawing on the tablet. This takes a lot of getting used to as you are not looking at your "pen" tip as you draw, and this does not feel natural at all.
Another negative of the graphics tablets is that we have a couple of missing pens, which renders the tablets useless.
The Astropad app means they can look at the iPad while they draw and their work displays on the computer screen at the same time.
I put this on my iPad the other day and had a little go with it. I let a couple of my Year 12 DVC students have a go on it today to get their feedback and thoughts. They really enjoyed using it and found it very easy to draw with both in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator on my laptop.
I think this will definitely be on my budget request for next year to install on the 5 iPads we have in DVC.
I really enjoyed getting their feedback today, as it is all very well me liking an app but it is them that is going to be using it the most!! ( and "K" discovered it works on games too .....sigh.... )



No comments:

Post a Comment