Sunday, February 3, 2019

Media Experiments with my Senior Students

It has been the first week back after the summer holidays and instead of launching straight into project work, NCEA information etc, I thought it would be interesting to do some welcome back "colouring in".
I would like my students to try different media when they are producing their design ideas instead of just sticking with with paper and coloured pencils all the time. I also didn't want the first thing that they did in graphics to be online research. I received some feedback from my Level 2 students last year that they did not enjoy the first thing we did last year, which was a standard about writing a design brief for their project. This did not include any drawing at all and as this is why they choose graphics in the first place, it was time to listen and change the year plan.

I produced some samples to show them what we were going to do, got out lots of different media and paper styles and let them get on with it. We just focused on images of fruit so the shapes were simple and they could concentrate on the media experiments.
This has also given a really good insight into the drawing abilities of those students who are new to graphics this year.

My examples ...




Student work over a couple of lessons . This is the work of Year 11, Year 12 and Year 13.
We put the work up on the wall as we finished it so they could all see each other's work and the work of the students in the other senior class ( I have two class, one mixed Year 11 and Year 12, and one just Year 13)



4 comments:

  1. You have some talented young people there. What a great way to start the year. I bet they enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun. It was nice starting the year with some coloring in.

      Delete
  2. A great resource for other learners to see different options too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amie. I like grabbing any chance to put senior student's work on the wall. They work in sketchbooks normally so being able to grab their work is limited.

      Delete