Sunday, October 14, 2012

Presenting at uLearn12

I had my first experience of presenting at a conference this year at uLearn12.
I really fought against it as I did NOT want to do it.
Our presentation, One to one in a decile one community, was to be a panel style with plenty of people who are comfortable talking to a room full of strangers. It was an overview of our journey through this year at Tamaki College where we have gone 1 to 1 devices for the students working online.  Russel, Amber, Nevyn and Nick did an awesome job of not only keeping to the plan but dealing with the massive amount of questions people had.
My part was to prepare the presentation keynote, which included videos of feedback from various sources, including students and staff. I was happy with that. I can do videos.
When we got there, the place for the laptop setup was right at the front, so by the time the room filled up with people and it got rather warm, everyone had a great view of me pressing the buttons while going a fabulous shade of blotchy red.

I was amazed at the interest people showed, and Russel, Amber, Nevyn and Nick had a hard job getting through everything we had planned to cover as they were answering so many questions. It was good we had a wide selection of people to answer the questions as every angle was covered.

Here is our presentation if you want to have a look at it.

We had a great camera man too.....




3 comments:

  1. Karen
    Thanks so much for the link to the presentation - I wasn't able to be at Ulearn this year, but I am always trying to follow what the cluster has done and continues to do. It is amazing, to do it for the area, its such a wonderful opportunity and an amazing thing. It never ceases to amaze me what goes into the area and Tamaki College are of course a good part of that. Hopefully you have shared your presenting experience with your staff, you have an amaazing story to tell.
    Mr Webb, Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton. Tamaki Intermediate 2002-8. NZWaikato

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Myles. I was terrified...lol. I was a real sulky bum before hand as i REALLY didn't want to do it. The team did an awesome job. I envy their ability to just stand there and talk to a room full of strangers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I hate presenting as well, and it is never a pleasant experience standing in front of your peers, however we had an awesome presentation to use and thankfully the team effort was amazing. Some really cool questions and I think a very successful presentation!

    ReplyDelete