Sunday, March 1, 2015

Having a Little Trouble Letting Go...

When we had our first Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher meeting this year, we discussed that one of the valuable things that we got out of this process was everyone being honest and open with their sharing. Good or bad.... so here is some "not so good" from me.

I have discovered recently the main flaw in my plan of working with an online format for my students to follow out of the class room. That main flaw is basically ME.

I am having difficulty letting go of what I do in the classroom, working through the projects in a set order with the students in the class. When I did the practice run last year, it was with a small group of Year 10 students while my Level 1 and 2 students were working through in my usual way. I didn't realise last year that this was going to be an issue.
The positive to this is that I have woken up to myself early in the year and will give myself a good slap talking to, and get on with it. I have been teaching for 20 years in September this year. Surely I am not so "stuck in my ways" that I cant give this a good go? I have found myself using excuses like, not all the students have working net books at the moment. For goodness sake!!
A more realistic fear that I have is that I am experimenting with my students NCEA Level 1 and 2 courses, but if I can get over this, then I can monitor them closely and help where needed.
Ok.... time to get over my fear of loosing control and start trusting the students to work with me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment