Thursday, March 21, 2019

Inquiry Question 2

Describe how and why you have selected this challenge of student learning. Locate your inquiry in the context of patterns of student learning in Manaiakalani overall. 

Last year, my inquiry was about written literacy with my Year 11 students. We concentrated on analysis of their design work so that the achievement level could be increased. Blog post about the results of this here.
It is literacy that enables the students to gain those higher levels as it is the quality and depth of their analysis writing that enables this.
I want to put what I learned last year into practice with the rest of my classes but especially my Year 13 class. I also want to expand on this to verbal literacy as i want them to be able to talk about their work in front of the rest of the class. It they can analyse their work then present this to the rest of the class in a way that is clear and in depth, it will help with their understanding. They then get to react to questions from the group.
This is how they will be expected to present their work if they do any kind of design course once they leave school. Critiques in front of the rest of the class are fairly standard.
The skills I hope they get from this year are :-

  • Analysis
  • Written literacy
  • Verbal literacy
  • Listening skills
  • Questioning
  • Reacting to questions
  • Presenting to a group


As they are Year 13, I hope they can then take these skills into any interviews for courses, jobs, apprenticeships etc that they might go to.

The reality of my class is that I have some students who have done NCEA level 1 and 2 DVC with me and some students who have not done any graphics since Year 10. As this is the case, the students lack confidence in their work and themselves. They literally say to me “miss i can’t draw” as soon as they come in the room. I want to work on helping them get over this deficit way of thinking as this stops them from progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment