Friday, April 17, 2020

Week 1 - Term 2 - Lockdown teaching is the new norm

We started back to term two on Wednesday this week, after having Monday and Tuesday off for being part of Easter weekend.
We start this new term with a new norm. Lock down teaching from home.

The basic method for this teaching is having all the details of the lessons on Goggle calendars, with the events containing all the links to workspaces, class sites and Google Meets where we can talk face to face.
These calendars are embedded on the front page of my class site and on the individual year group pages, but the main communication is through inviting them to the event so it pops up in their email.
Link to class site


Highlights from this week include -
  • Having one student in my Year 11 class on Thursday and I had to hold my cat up to the camera so she could sing to her.
  • My lovely Year 7 group n Friday morning coping so well with a coding session. They were putting their coding together using mBlock and then downloading the code to send to me. I was uploading it onto my mBot and testing it for them. We had a lot of fun.
  • Talking to a screen full of icons during my Y13 class and I was accusing them of nicking off for a sandwich and I wouldn't know they had gone. That was funny.
  • Year 10 assembly on Friday morning. So good to see so many of them joining in.
  • Morning tea Meet with lots of other staff members.





Here is a couple of short parts of my intermediate class this morning.
It shows a bit of teaching / question / answer and then a bit of me crawling around on the floor setting the mBot away with one of the student's code. (we were using the force to make the mBot move backwards - link to work on the class site)



2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Karen. Hey that's awesome! Sensors via a hangout! Not something you see everyday. SAMR++

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hinerau. The kids really came on board with trying something new today. We had fun.

      Delete