Thursday, May 7, 2020

Adding Extra Help for Students who can't get to Meets

I have been concerned about my senior students who can't get to online meets while we are on lockdown. I fully understand the various reasons for this (working being the main one), but I worry about how they will cope with being so far behind the students who have been coming to class when we get back to "normal".
My inquiry group are some of these students (my Y13 class) so I thought I would try something different.

I have added a page to the class site that is specifically for help with the individual aspects of the current project we are doing.
I have recorded myself talking about the different activities they have to complete and put up the example that I work through in the video for them to use as an example.

As of writing this blog post, I have only just started this so it is no where near complete. I have emailed the link to it to that class to get their feedback and to let them know it is there for them to refer to.

Link to page on class site.
Link to workspace - I have purposefully not put all of the activities on this workspace for this class yet as I have a couple of students who would try too much at once and they have enough to cope with. All of the activities are set up on the class site  and when we are ready, will be transferred to the workspace to aid tracking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen
    I'm really interested to know how this went with your target group of learners. I'm always keen to figure out ways to enable differentiation to happen effectively for all learners in the classroom. I know there is always a myriad of reasons why we may not have all of our learners consistently in the class for consecutive lessons at a time. Covid19 has really blown that out of the water. As well as student feedback, I'd be interested to know how you've found the process as well. I know that as teachers, we're always trying to investigate ways to enable our learners to progress and for senior students to achieve. So, I'm interested to know from your perspective, how easy/difficult and how time effective it was to develop the resources for your site.

    ReplyDelete