Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Teaching Online - Sketching

I wanted to do some drawing with my seniors. We have been working on Google docs etc for the whole time we have been on lockdown so we really need to get on with some drawn work. I have been doing some experiments on how to set this up - blog post here - and I decided to to use the webcam and paper and pencil.

Here is my set up for today.


I set up to do drawing with my Year 12 class P1 this morning where I want them to look at drawing design elements from their chosen design era. None of them turned up today (email conversations about the docs they are working on were going on through the session). I decided to run the session anyway and record it so it can be used to look back on and be rewindable,

There is not a lot of talking on this recording as I did not have any students in the online meet. There is more towards the end where I am describing what I have done. I looked at Arts and Crafts particularly as my most frequent visitor at Y12 chose this design era to look at.


For P2 I got three of my Year 13 boys come in and it was great to test the set up in a real situation to see how it went.
This video is the lesson with the Y13 boys. Nothing really happens till about 5 minutes in when they start joining the class, just me scuffling about and then the drawing stuff starts about 9 minutes in. We focussed in on drawings skills today to warm us up as we haven't done any drawing in AGES.
On the whole, the set up worked really well. The webcam has a few issues focussing sometimes but it is only a cheap one. I could try setting my camera up in a similar manner as it has the ability to be focussed. Sounds like an excuse to do more experiments!

As I said to the kids today. It was so good to hear the scratch of pencil on paper.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Karen

    I have really enjoyed following your distance learning journey Karen. You have come up with so many innovative ways to support your learners that you take the time to explain clearly in your blog posts. Thank you for sharing because I'm loving the PD I get from your blog.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. I was super keen to try and get drawing long distance working as we don't know how long this will go on for and my seniors especially can't do research for ever. It was a really good first session / try out today and the kids reacted well to it.

      Delete
    2. I totally get that. For the last two weeks I've added an art challenge to our distance learning. Most people are choosing to these on paper which is great to see. I have been using Google Canvas to do my 'real time' drawing instruction when we're online together... really wish I'd grabbed my mouse before I left school, the trackpad is so much harder to use. When we get back we will definitely be having some serious art time.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you have done this and taken time to share it with us all. Your kids are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. I have been experimenting and it was good to see it working with the kids today.

      Delete
  3. I love the Arts and Craft drawing and you made it look so easy! And I will never look at a box in the same way after that lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mrs Pamaka
      You cant beat a good box drawing...lol

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen
    I remember you had a similar setup in your classroom when you were wiring bits and pieces together, for what I believe, was one of your Class on Air sessions with your learners. I can just imagine that your seniors really appreciated that you had set the lesson up to enable them to do some hands on sketching with them during Covid19 conditions. Well done

    ReplyDelete