Thursday, May 16, 2019

Inquiry Questions 8 and 9

Explain the hypotheses about teaching that you decided were MOST worth testing, and why.

For each of your hypotheses, explain how you will test it and what evidence would support (or refute) that hypothesis



Talking about their design work to someone else / a group of people. Presenting.
Why
After inquiring into written literacy last year with my Year 11 group, I feel that this made a real difference in their achievement. As my inquiry group is Year 13s this year, I thought that encouraging their talking about their work would give them confidence to talk about it in interviews for courses, jobs, apprenticeships etc.

Testing and Evidence
I have done a baseline presentation with them where they had very little input from me and they had to present to the rest of the class where they were up to with their project work.
I will then record them presenting to each other and their client at various stages throughout the year to gauge any improvement.
The students can peer assess each other’s videos using a shared rubric as a guide. This will give them the chance to think about what is needed in a presentation but with the focus being on another person and not themselves.
I need to have evidence about my current patterns of teaching - I need to find systematic and objective ways you have investigated my own talk practice e.g. asking students how they perceive my patterns of talk, recording myself leading talk and doing some analysis of that. I can also get another colleague to watch me and do an analysis of what they see in terms of talking in the class.
Mindset
Why
I feel that working on this aspect throughout the year will have an impact on everything that they do in their design work for Graphics. I have started this with all my classes, not just my inquiry group as I am hoping that it will filter through in following years.


Testing and Evidence
As for measuring this aspect, I have taken a student voice from my inquiry group about how they are feeling now. Blog post here from inquiry question 4.
I also got some sticky note feedback from them after we had done a mindset activity.
Having more confidence in themselves and their work will come through in the speed and quality of their work and in how they are talking about it and themselves in relation to it.
I feel student voice will tell me the most about how this is going, both in terms of structured feedback and general conversation.
I can also add to this with some student voice about how teaching contributes to this e.g. what kinds of teaching do you think are most or least helpful for building your confidence? What could I do as a teacher to support you develop more confidence?
The quality of their work so ultimately their NCEA achievement will also show any improvements coming through.

No comments:

Post a Comment