Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Inquiry Question 2 - Inquiry Focus

 From what you know already about your classes and your school’s profile and leadership goals for the year, share a possible inquiry focus.




My inquiry is based on accelerating student achievement through differentiated, multi-modal learning via the subject website.

I have been thinking about how to combine all that I have learned through previous inquiries, in CoL, Class onAir and Innovative Teacher 2014 and 2015


Historically, what has been happening in my class is that I do a lot of one to one work with students and while that is happening, there is a lot of nothing going on with the rest of the class. They lack confidence to continue on their own so drift off to doing not a lot.

My style of teaching is whole class demonstrating then on to one to one help where it is needed. 

The make up of my senior classes is always mixed. Mixed NCEA level, mixed experience in the subject (NCEA Level 2 and Level 3 students who haven't done it before) and mixed ability within all of that.

My thoughts were around creating an environment with my class site that will support the students to continue with their work in a self motivating way. They need to be able to get on with the work without the teacher being there next to them the whole time. This will be good both in the class and if they have to work from home ( for example, during any lock down experience again).
I want the site to make the students feel they have the confidence to know what they have to do, how to do it and where to go to get help. 



Initial Plan

Ways that I am thinking at the moment that I could use ...
  • A layout that is easy to understand and follow
  • Examples made so they can see what they are aiming for
  • Step by steps either in screen shot form or screen cast video form
  • Everything in one place so they know where to go for whatever they need
  • Links sent through from calendar invites so this becomes the normal place to find the day to day instructions - this also lets them see what has been done in previous lessons
  • Structure and templates available for written analysis based on literacy and SOLO research over the past few years
  • Allowing group work to happen during some tasks to build confidence
  • Developing a positive mindset


Goals

This addresses the school goals in this blog post here in the section where I was talking to the Deputy Principal

1) Maori achievement
2) numeracy and literacy
3) student well being
4) teacher wellbeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment