Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Jumpstart is underway - Playing with gears

We have started our new Jumpstart timetable this week for 4 weeks. The Year 10 students have done their options for NCEA Level 1 next year and have started those classes already for the last part of this year.
I have been working on my new class site for next year and the Jumpstart project was the first one to be sorted out so I could get the planning moderated before I started teaching the project.
This also included making a Hapara Workspace so I can keep better track of the work the students have to complete.
So far, I have seen the students for a single period and a double period. The project was introduced and they seem quite excited at the idea of making a pull along toy on the laser cutter. We have looked at the theme of Steampunk and they have made a mood board about it. I think they like the theme. Steampunk is new to them so it is hard to tell.
Today we had a play with the gear set that was made on the 3D printer. I want them to try and use a bit of extra movement in their toy designs, either gears turning as the toy is pulled along, or something moving up and down on a cam, or offset wheels to create a bobbing motion.


We started with simple gear trains, moved onto compound gear trains and looked at how the speed and direction of movement changes. 
I was videoing their creations as they made and putting them in a shared folder so they can put them into their projects.

Then the challenge was to get the movement to go from one side to the other of two boards together. The boys them made it go round the corner.




To be honest, we were having so much fun today that I'm not sure if the main points of the lesson intentions were learned! I think I will do a Kahoot and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment